Wednesday 23 October 2013

No Pasaran! - the Musical

I have never reviewed a musical before, and welcome the chance to do so now. If I leave out anything important, I hope readers will forgive my omissions. Now I've got that out of the way, I can begin.
Last weekend, my wife and I went for a short break to Bournemouth. It is our favourite resort on the south coast, and I was glad to combine our trip with a visit to the De la Salle Theatre to watch "No Pasaran! - the Musical" by Roy Gaynor (lyrics and music) and Doug Gould (musical orchestration).
Now, at this point, I must declare a personal interest. Roy and myself share an interest in the Spanish Civil War (SCW), that epic struggle which still has the ability to arouse passion and anger. I met Roy through the International Brigade Memorial Trust, of which we are both members. I write lyrics myself, and Roy had already set one of my lyrics to music. Naturally, I was interested to see what he made, musically, of the war in Spain during the 1930s.
The SCW lasted from 1936 to 1939, and presents difficulties for theatrical presentation. There are many detailed accounts of the conflict, and Roy would have been faced with the problem of depicting the passage in time of the war, while condensing the material into an acceptable time limit.
I think he solves the problem brilliantly by telling the story of a divided Irish family whose two sons set off to fight in Spain. One goes to fight for Franco and the other (hurray!) for the Republicans in the International Brigades. The experiences of these two drive the action. Wisely, Roy has not included every SCW battle, and there is a time lapse between the Battle of the Jarama (1936) and the Battle of the Ebro (1938). Without spoiling the ending, there is a love triangle story that runs through the musical that is poignantly resolved at the end of the play when one of the brothers returns to Spain. My wife, who loves musicals, was moved to tears by this charming climax.
Of course, as a music lover, and a lyricist myself, I was very interested in the songs and music that run through the production from beginning to end. I am pleased to say that Roy does a first class job here. Writing songs about a historical event calls for freshness of insight and arrangement and there is a wide variety of songs in No Pasaran! - from ballads to blues. At no point will you be bored when watching this musical. The singers are outstandingly good, singing with passion and expression of  a professional standard - no mean achievement, considering that many of the cast are amateurs. A marvellous Spanish touch is the appearance of Flamenco dancers throughout the play. They give impressive performances, and remind us of the people for whom the International Brigades fought.
I must admit to the fact that both the love triangle and the superb choral performances in "No Pasaran!" reminded me at times of "Les Miserables". If I was some sniffy national newspaper critic, I'd comment adversely about that, but I'm not, and I won't. If similarities in stories were wrong, then Orwell's "1984" would be dismissed as a copy of Zamyatin's "We", and "Pilgrims Progress" as a mere derivative of the Bible. The story of the musical is believable and moving, and the choruses are admirable of themselves.
If "No Pasaran!" does not become better known, then there ain't no justice. Whatever, congratulations to all concerned for a great performance and a great night out for the audience. I am pleased to say that it will be performed again in Bournemouth next year - and hopefully elsewhere.

2 comments:

  1. I don't like musicals - odd thing for a singer-guitarist to say, perhaps - but your write-up might almost encourage me to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nev. I hope that "No Pasaran" comes close to where you live, so you can get to see it without much travelling.

    ReplyDelete